Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) has suspended 5 different maize floor brands over high aflatoxin levels.
The five brands include:
- Kifaru by Alpha Grain Limited
- Jembe by Kensal Rise Limited
- Starehe by Pan African Grain Millers
- Dola by Kitui Four Mills
- 210 Two Ten by Kenblest Limited
KEBS issued a statement on Saturday that the manufacturing permits of the companies had been suspended.
‘’Consequently, their respective permits have been suspended and the manufacturers instructed to discontinue manufacturing or offering for sale the affected maize meal products.’’ Read the KEBS Statement.
KEBS called upon the manufacturers to recall their floor brands from the market. Supermarkets and other retail shops have also been instructed to withdraw the products from their shelves.
KEBS earlier this week suspended 7 peanut butter brands also due to high levels of aflatoxins. The suspended brands included:
- Nutty by Nature Target Distributors
- Zesta by Trufoods Limited
- Nuteez by Jetlak Foods Limited
- Supa Meal by Supacosm Products Limited
- True Nuts by Truenutz Kenya
- Sue’s Naturals by Nature’s Way Health
- Fressy by Fressy Food Company
KEBS added in their statement that the suspension comes following their market surveillance and reports from the members of the public.