Who is the acting Nigerian Chief Justice, Justice Tanko Muhammad?
Here is all you need to know about the acting Nigerian Chief Justice, Tanko Muhammad. President Buhari appointed Tanko as acting Chief Justice of Nigeria after suspending Justice Walter Omnoghen.
Below is a brief bio of the acting Chief Justice as shared on Wikipedia:
- Justice Tanko Muhammad was born on 31 December, 1953 at Doguwa – Giade, in Bauchi State.
- He is a Nigerian jurist and Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
- He formerly served as a Justice of the Nigerian courts of appeal.
- He obtained his secondary school education at Government Secondary School, Azare, where he earned the West Africa School Certificate in 1973.
- Later attended the Ahmadu Bello University where he earned his bachelor’s degree in Law in 1980.
- He obtained a Masters and Doctorate (PhD) degrees from the same university in 1984 and 1998 respectively.
- Tanko Mohammed started his career in 1982, after his Call to Bar in 1981
- In 1989 – 1991 he served as Chief Magistrate of the High Court of Federal Capital Territory
- He was pointed as a judge of the Bauchi State Sharia Court of Appeal.
- In 1993, Tanko was appointed to the Bench of the Nigerian courts of appeal as Justice, a position he served for 13 years.
- In 2006, Tanko was appointed to the Bench of the Supreme Court of Nigeria