Possible Challenges and Effects of LAPSSET Corridor Projects on People of Garissa County
- Looming evictions
- Compulsory land acquisitions
- Accidents during construction
- Rapid population growth due to migration of people in search of job opportunities at the LAPSSET projects sites.
- Wildlife-human conflicts
- Loss of livelihoods
- Speculation on land by economic and political elites for economic gain during compensations
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
- Strong political goodwill is needed
- Increased access to information
- Increased levels of public participation
- Civil Society organizations and social movements should create awareness on LAPSSET project.
Follow us on Twitter @gkerosi
Sharing is Caring: