On 26th May, 2016 East African Community (EAC) approved budget estimates worth US$100 million to run the regional body for the financial year 2016/2017. The budget speech was read by Dr. Susan Kolimba. This amount was less that the US$110.6 million allocated to the body during the previous financial year.
What are the EAC Priorities for FY 2016/2017?
- Liberalization of EAC airspace
- EAC Single Customs Territory Implementation
- One Area Network
- EAC Common Market Protocol Implementation
- Harmonization of standards, laws and policies
- Value addition in various sectors
- Development of cross-boarder infrastructure
How Much was Allocated to Various EAC Bodies?
The EAC was allocated money as follows:
- EAC Secretariat – USD$ 57.8 Million
- East African Legislative Assembly (EALA) – USD$ 61 Million
- East African Court of Justice – USD$ 4.2 Million
- Inter-University Council of East Africa – USD $ 4.5 Million
- Lake Victoria Basin – USD$ 11.2 Million
- Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization – USD$ 2.1 Million
- East Africa Kiswahili Commission – USD$ 1.1 Million
Sources of Funding
- Partner States Contributions – USD$ 47.5 Million
- Support from Development Partners – USD$ 46.7 Million
- Member Universities – USD$ 0.4 Million
- General Reserves – USD$6.3 Million
- Miscellaneous revenue – USD$0.3 Million
The Financial Year 2016/2017 marks the beginning of the Constitutional making process at the EAC.
Previous Year Achievements
- Deployment of staff to partner states
- Upscalling of Single Customs Territory (SCT)
- Operational One Stop Border Posts
- Appointed the Commissioners for the EAC Competition Authority
- Smooth Cross-border Tour Operations
- Implemented Strategy to combat poaching and trading of wildlife products
It is our hope that you enjoyed reading this article. Let us know what you would like to be covered on East African Community.